Saturday 17 May 2014

Interview with my Mum

I wanted to do a post about my childhood, but I didn't know how to go about it, since I can't remember my very early years and a lot of it was very confusing to me. My boyfriend suggested that I do an interview with my Mum about her experience of being a parent of a child, and young adult with Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome.



When did you first notice there might be something wrong with me?
When you were first born. You were a very sicky baby. I had to have you propped up all the time especially after a feed to stop you from bringing it back up. Had you in a bib all the time because you were so sick.


Did you think it was anything more at the time?
At the time I just thought you were just a sickly baby as I was told that by the health visitors. They said it was common in young babies. When you started on solids it did ease a bit.


How was I different to other children?
As a toddler you seemed to be a "fussy eater" took a lot of persuading and distracting to get you to eat.


Was I picky or reluctant to eat?
Both really. We had to try you with lots of different foods throughout the day to get you to eat something. Most days you didn't eat enough so we carried on giving you bottles of milk to try to ensure you got enough nutrition in the day. I remember you sitting in your high chair distracting you with toys spooning food in while you were occupied.


Did I have any other health problems as a child, other than the sickness and food issues?
When you were 2 I was helping you up off the floor and your elbow popped out. We took you to A & E and you had dislocated your elbow. Also as a child you didn't like being left anywhere. For instance nursery took a long time for you to settle I had to stay with you for a month or so. You seemed anxious. When I look back I guess if you weren’t feeling well you didn't want to be left. Also when you were born you had to have your feet strapped up because they weren't in the right position.


Do you think my schools handled me well and do you think it would have been handled better had I had a diagnosis sooner?
Yes absolutely it would have been handled differently had you been diagnosed. That could also be said of the way I handled things too had I known. The doctors kept saying it was down to anxiety and I had to be firm with you. Very difficult as a parent. You just trust the doctors at the time and take their advice. Primary school were very firm with you saying you had to stay in class when you said you weren’t well. Secondary school handled it better. They asked you what they could do to help. We still didn't have a diagnosis at this stage though and in the end you became too ill to go to school.


How was I dealt with as a young child when you took me to doctors with the problems that I had?
Difficult question because at the time I always thought they knew best so I took their advice. Looking back I think they were as clueless as we were.


Do you think they did enough?
No, they could have done so much more. Having being discharged from Blackpool Victoria when they said you had ME and you would get better and "grow out of it". I dread to think where we would be today if we had just left it there and not pushed further for answers and got referrals elsewhere. I have to say though, Wythenshawe hospital have been very supportive, in particular, Professor Whorewell and in recent ears Dr Jones and his team. They have no always had the answers but they have been very caring and supportive. I don't think we would be where we are today without them.


Do you think doctors need to be better educated on Ehlers Danlos Syndrome?
Most definitely without a doubt. Even now with us and for you there is no local help or support. We still have very limited support. It is very difficult to know who to turn to for the best.


How did you feel when they diagnosed me with Ehlers Danlos Syndrome? Were you sad because I had something incurable, or were you just relieved to get a diagnosis?
That day when we came out from the consultant when they diagnosed you is very clear in my mind. I burst into tears with being overwhelmed with it. Finally after all the years of battling for answers we finally had answers but it was also very scary as we didn't know what it really meant or what the way forward was. I think it was a relief to think that finally someone cared and believed you and knew what was wrong. I remember asking him if he was sure as I didn't quite believe it myself that we had a diagnosis. In my mind now it still doesn't feel like its incurable we still hope that someday soon they will find a cure. But at least for now it’s more manageable than it’s ever been and your quality of life is better than it has been. Every day I look forward to that phone call to hear the excitement in your voice when you tell me about your good days and what fun you have had achieving something new that we thought a few years ago might not happen. These are everyday normal events for parents with healthy children but for us as a family every good day is treasured and another milestone. But at the same time I dread the phone call when it’s a "bad day". You’re feeling too poorly to do anything. Or another issue like right now where your feeding tube is broken and we are in yet another battle with the hospitals trying to get it fixed.... a month we have been told! How crazy is that for Hanna relies on the feeding tube every day!


What was the hardest part about having a sick child?
Seing your child suffer and wasting away and feeling helpless to make you better.


Did you feel different to other parents because your child was different?
Yes so much so. It was heart breaking seeing other children doing the day to day things that children do but you couldn't do those things.


What sort of things?
Going to school, having friends, eating normally, playing out and having fun, smiling, the list is endless. One memory sticks strongly in my mind – end of school proms. You crawled to the front door to wave your friends off in the limousine that was taking them to the proms, too ill and weak to join them. Such a sad day.


What was it like, when I was a teenager and I was bedbound and in hospital all the time?
So very, very sad, I just can't put into words how I felt. People used to say to me regularly how do you cope? You just have to. When I look back I don't know how I did. You just hope that the next day is going to be better than the last.


When I was very poorly as a teenager did you believe I would get ‘better’ or did you think I would always be disabled and bedbound?
I 100% thought you would get better. You have to believe that.


Were you worried when I started college after I had been away from normality for so long?
Yes that was a huge worry. I watched the clock each day waiting till it was home time to find out if you had been ok that day. Some days I thought you had gone back too soon when you had a lapse. But I am pleased to say now that you proved me wrong and didn't give up.


Do you think you were more of a protective parent because I was ill?
That’s a massive yes, you have to be and that feeling doesn't go away. I still feel like that now even though you have left home and moved away. I know I do your head in with my texting and phone calls and looking at Facebook to find out how you are. My first thoughts when I wake up are ‘I wonder what sort of a night you have had’ and ‘are you going to wake up on a "good day” today’ and ‘are you getting enough nutrition throughout the day’. Had you been healthy things would have been different definitely.


How did you find it when I left for University?
Very difficult. I still do. It’s hard to let go when you have looked after your sick child for so long and they have been so dependent on you to look after them. Suddenly they have to look after themselves. It’s a constant worry. I have had to drive over a few times because you have been so poorly and once was in the middle of the night.


What are your hopes for me for the future?
Wow so many - the main one is that they find a cure and you make a complete recovery. To achieve your dreams, to complete your education and achieve the career you want and to be happy.


You’re quite a feisty Mum, some doctors have told me that you’re a bit scary. You’ve told a few of them off – any tips for other Mums or sick people who might be battling?
I have had to be. Just don’t give up. Push push, push all the way I can’t stress that enough. I know I've probably got a reputation. .. "it’s that woman again" but I don't care. From our experience sitting quiet and waiting for answers gets you nowhere. If you ring and they don’t call you back ring and ring again.

No comments:

Post a Comment